Didn’t have much time this week for experimentation but did move the php code to Azure for free…
Here’s how you could get this too
- Subscribe to Azure. Initially they give a 30 day free trial. But for our purpose we just need the Pay-as-you-go option which charges only if you use one of the ‘paid’ options.
- Then Create a Website and choose the F1 option. F1 is a free instance with shared processor and no memory allocation. For my purpose, I just need PHP/JS code to be run and that too for non-production environment.
- The Website gets created in a few seconds. It was not as fast as during trial period but good enough.
There are a few things I liked in this option
- Access to web site over command prompt online within the portal. Enabling to clean up my space in Dos style
- File upload/download using ftp and/or WebMatrix solution which comes with an IDE for PHP. The w00.us site has an online IDE but I found it to be clumsy and difficult to use
Best Feature was that it supports not just PHP but also .NET, Java and Python
Some things I did not like
- Connectivity from WebMatrix is not always established. I’m already looking for alternatives L
- The Azure Portal itself is not stable and took a few attempts before I could log in today. I feel this is something temporary this week…hope it doesn’t continue
Nothing more this week